Cody Dock Summer Event
Cody Dock is planning a big summer event this month. On June 15th there will be a host of activities at the dock by the side of the River Lee, at South Crescent, E16 4TL.
Events include market stalls, live music, urban bushcraft workshops, natural crafts and activities for children. There will be food to share (bring some along), Nadia's cafe, a bar, a free exhibition and - just generally - fun and a good atmosphere!
About Cody Dock
The Gasworks Dock Partnership was formed as a social enterprise in November 2009 and registered as a charity (no. 1141523) in April, 2011. The community project is working to bring the once derelict and disused Cody Dock dock on the banks of the River Lee in Canning Town back to life - not just as a dock for mooring.
GDP’s aims for Cody Dock include:
- Helping people access to the Lower Lea’s environment and celebrate the area’s industrial heritage
- Developing a community based arts and creative industries quarter on the banks of the River Lea
- Forging links with the wider community and enabling them to access and enjoy the River Lea
- Developing the site as an incubator for creative enterprise
- Nurturing sustainable income that will enable the development to support a wide range of arts, cultural and educational programs
- Providing new pathways into work for local people
- Creating a regeneration vehicle for conservation, environmental and cultural benefit
For all the latest news and in-depth articles about the work, have a look at the Newsletters.
What has been achieved so far, and plans for the future
From 2015 – 2018, GDP opened Cody Dock’s gates to over 50,000 visitors and worked with over 6,000 volunteers on the clean up and restoration of its riverside footpaths. With support from Thames Water, the Veola Environmental Trust, Kew Gardens, the Royal Horticultural Society, Newham Council and the Big Lottery, Cody Dock has established itself as a flagship vehicle for community-led regeneration.
With Phase One complete and the Leaway River Lea Park now kick started, Cody Dock is already home to a number of creative industries, social enterprises and visitor attractions, that include:
- Docklands Community Boat
- Cody Dock Cafe
- Gallery and exhibition space
- Outdoor classroom
- Studio spaces
In April 2018, GDP successfully gained planning permission for the seven year development plan of its 2.5 acre site into a creative industries quarter. This will include:
New visitor centre & café
Social and Industrial heritage archive and pavillion
International artist and respite hosting suites
10 new studios and workshop spaces
10 new live/work moorings
D dock facilitiesct
Cody Dock, 11c South Crescent, Canning Town, London E16 4TL
Telephone: 020 74730429